Do you have a category that we are missing?

Welcome to our LGBT Community Forum and Chat
Wanting to join the rest of our members in conversation? Feel free to become a member today.
We are Improving the Lives of LGBT People by Breaking Communication Boundaries!
Become an LGBT.net Member Now!

Join Our LGBT Community Forum and Chat

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Forum and Chat

Welcome to Our LGBT Community Forum and Chat, Join Us and Our Open and Lively Conversations.
We are Improving the Lives of LGBT People by Breaking Communication Boundaries.

Mark Laymon

Mark Laymon
Staff member
Paid Membership
May 11, 2020
Florida
LGBT.net
Good Morning Everyone!
Hope you are all having a great weekend. This weekend I am doing some editing here on LGBT.net and would love some input.
Do you have a niche category that we are missing and you would like added to the community forum?

Mark Laymon

Mark Laymon
Staff member
Paid Membership
May 11, 2020
Florida
LGBT.net
Mental Health and Wellness is generally considered different that "health".. I'd be happy to be considered a moderator (one of not the only) for this section
Don't know how I missed that one. It was one of the top in my prep list. It's added now.

Lindorm

Nov 25, 2021
Long Island NY
I, and I expect some future members, would appreciate a Nonbinary forum.

Nonbinary isn't equivilant to trans- someone can be both, or only one.
For example I have only a slim few of the feelings most (all?) trans people have, but am certainly not cis.
(More in my bio if you like)
Meanwhile, a trans person who identifies as entirely one gender isn't nonbinary (that's still within the binary, or two 'main' groups).
Worth noting for example that a few cultures have five genders in their language- male female, trans male, trans female, and 'nonbinary'. Although of course that's an approximation in translation

Sorry if I seem uptight, that's sort of how I type-speak; I can't portray emotion effectively. Whereas most people are able to act more tactful online, I'm the exact opposite by nature lol

Reactions: Mark Laymon

Lindorm

Nov 25, 2021
Long Island NY
A Bit of an unusual suggestion maybe, but I think a category for this might be the best interim solution.
A category to discuss the evolution of the website itself (plans, etc).
This subsection itself is that sort of, but the main thing that made me consider this is the separation of support-based discussion and general chatter, as well as support subsections.
Any of the given identity sub forums (say nonbinary in my case) could reasonably include both idle chatter among like-minded people, and discussion about say emotional support.

Basically I anticipate that if not planned for, this could all get very complicated very quickly as more sub-forums and separations are added or changed.
Even the separation of orientation forum and gender forums is a minor example of this;
What forums do I post in, for example, if I'm asking about my attraction to other people in relation to my nonbinary identity?

Due to the complex nature of the topic itself, I think it could be helpful to have a section devoted to discussing how to not only ask for new forums like here, but suggestions for the organization of the forum itself and planning ahead.

You (as the owners) would have the final say of course, but if users have ideas for it anyway might as well have a specific place for them.
In the short term you could probably rename this category for that, as this specific post is enough to cover category suggestions.

Lindorm

Nov 25, 2021
Long Island NY
A Bit of an unusual suggestion maybe, but I think a category for this might be the best interim solution.
A category to discuss the evolution of the website itself (plans, etc).
This subsection itself is that sort of, but the main thing that made me consider this is the separation of support-based discussion and general chatter, as well as support subsections.
Any of the given identity sub forums (say nonbinary in my case) could reasonably include both idle chatter among like-minded people, and discussion about say emotional support.

Basically I anticipate that if not planned for, this could all get very complicated very quickly as more sub-forums and separations are added or changed.
Even the separation of orientation forum and gender forums is a minor example of this;
What forums do I post in, for example, if I'm asking about my attraction to other people in relation to my nonbinary identity?

Due to the complex nature of the topic itself, I think it could be helpful to have a section devoted to discussing how to not only ask for new forums like here, but suggestions for the organization of the forum itself and planning ahead.

You (as the owners) would have the final say of course, but if users have ideas for it anyway might as well have a specific place for them.
In the short term you could probably rename this category for that, as this specific post is enough to cover category suggestions.
*all of that is just my opinion to be clear!
I'm in no position to claim I'm some sort of expert or anything.
I just happen to have an attachment to this, as my own trials of getting personal assistance with a deppresion have proven to me just how valuable detailed planning is, as well as (IMO) a general knack for it.
Hence wanting to post these feelings

Mark Laymon

Mark Laymon
Staff member
Paid Membership
May 11, 2020
Florida
LGBT.net
I have created a Nonbinary Forum / Chat

When I started the forum I was using the open conversation thread as a evolution of the website thread.
Now I see we need a better category or maybe a page specific to the topic with an outline of the site.

Do you have suggestions?

Lindorm

Nov 25, 2021
Long Island NY
I have created a Nonbinary Forum / Chat

When I started the forum I was using the open conversation thread as a evolution of the website thread.
Now I see we need a better category or maybe a page specific to the topic with an outline of the site.

Do you have suggestions?
To be honest I haven't put much thought to the specifics yet, (I foresaw the problems, but didn't anticipate having the ability to affect the solutions, so didn't consider them as much)
but as I write atm...
It's hard to say any exact suggestions, other then a more general suggestion/site planning area as I said.

My most immediate thought for specifics might be a tag system, similar to linked in (only for a forum).

That way even if I do post a complex topic in nonbinary, by having the thread tagged say 'bisexual' in the title (rather then typing it out, as that complicates things), it helps people know what to expect better and like most tag systems it could hopefully be searchable.
I've seen similar things in gaming forums, where one character class for example has so many sub-classes that a whole sub forum wouldn't make sense.
This solution isn't perfect, but depending on the forum source code you have at least it should be easy to implement.
Another likely suggestion is to look at other lgbt forums as example. Tbh Idk why I didn't do that myself, and should have been the first thing I mentioned.
To be clear this is the first lgbt forum as broad as this I've seen- it's why I decided to come here in the first place. But there are also more niche ones I'm sure that might have implemented their own concepts.

Sorry my advice is a little haphazard, my life is too and I think to an extent I hadn't anticipated being taken seriously 😅 . That isn't your fault; I've just never been seriously consulted on anything before

Mark Laymon

Mark Laymon
Staff member
Paid Membership
May 11, 2020
Florida
LGBT.net
To be honest I haven't put much thought to the specifics yet, (I foresaw the problems, but didn't anticipate having the ability to affect the solutions, so didn't consider them as much)
but as I write atm...
It's hard to say any exact suggestions, other then a more general suggestion/site planning area as I said.

My most immediate thought for specifics might be a tag system, similar to linked in (only for a forum).

That way even if I do post a complex topic in nonbinary, by having the thread tagged say 'bisexual' in the title (rather then typing it out, as that complicates things), it helps people know what to expect better and like most tag systems it could hopefully be searchable.
I've seen similar things in gaming forums, where one character class for example has so many sub-classes that a whole sub forum wouldn't make sense.
This solution isn't perfect, but depending on the forum source code you have at least it should be easy to implement.
Another likely suggestion is to look at other lgbt forums as example. Tbh Idk why I didn't do that myself, and should have been the first thing I mentioned.
To be clear this is the first lgbt forum as broad as this I've seen- it's why I decided to come here in the first place. But there are also more niche ones I'm sure that might have implemented their own concepts.

Sorry my advice is a little haphazard, my life is too and I think to an extent I hadn't anticipated being taken seriously 😅 . That isn't your fault; I've just never been seriously consulted on anything before
We can also do tag system with this forum. To be honest I do not understand how to use it very well. I have another forum at coralheads.com/community that I have been testing a lot of the options to add here. I haven't read all the documentation for the tag system yet.

Reactions: Lindorm

Lindorm

Nov 25, 2021
Long Island NY
If we are talking more general suggestions though, there's a more major and much simpler one I'd go to immediately;
Signatures.
These are sort of an old internet relic especially in the age of discord, but I'd argue they're huge for an LGBT+ forum.

With a signature, everyone here could post our pronouns, gender identity, and orientation as a part of each post automatically.
Depending on what you allow with signatures, ppl could even describe a nonbinary identity in more detail (there are a lot), or link to personal blogs etc that are relevant to understanding who they are.

Lindorm

Nov 25, 2021
Long Island NY
We can also do tag system with this forum. To be honest I do not understand how to use it very well. I have another forum at coralheads.com/community that I have been testing a lot of the options to add here. I haven't read all the documentation for the tag system yet.
Sorry only got the notification for this a bit late, otherwise I would have waited for the second reply xp.
And yeah thats fair! I'm no coder so all I can say is what I've seen and suggest based off of that

Mark Laymon

Mark Laymon
Staff member
Paid Membership
May 11, 2020
Florida
LGBT.net
If we are talking more general suggestions though, there's a more major and much simpler one I'd go to immediately;
Signatures.
These are sort of an old internet relic especially in the age of discord, but I'd argue they're huge for an LGBT+ forum.

With a signature, everyone here could post our pronouns, gender identity, and orientation as a part of each post automatically.
Depending on what you allow with signatures, ppl could even describe a nonbinary identity in more detail (there are a lot), or link to personal blogs etc that are relevant to understanding who they are.
There should be Signatures. I am looking now. But I think they are set in your profile page.

Lindorm

Nov 25, 2021
Long Island NY
Yeah you were right, I was just horrid at finding them lol.
I think it may help to say, despite the infancy I wasnt kidding about coming here due to the lack if a broad lgbt forum. This has a lot of potential I think, for more reasons then just that.
Even if the concept is very basic, my response is often 'no one else did it, and they had more then enough time' in these situations :p.
Legitimately I make suggestions out of an almost selfish hope that this realizes it's full potential, with or without them.

Reactions: Mark Laymon

Mark Laymon

Mark Laymon
Staff member
Paid Membership
May 11, 2020
Florida
LGBT.net
There is a lot of opportunities to go forward. Part of updated outline.

It needs to be inclusive and educational for everyone. I know I am learning a lot in the development of this site. Terms are the most difficult to keep right. Then learning the semantic indexing of each and how they play into each other.

Our Company Goals and Objectives
  • Create an amazing community of diverse individuals!
  • Create a daily vidcast (live streaming video) to promote our community!
  • Form a Non Profit Corporation
  • Develop multiple platforms of communication!

Mark Laymon

Mark Laymon
Staff member
Paid Membership
May 11, 2020
Florida
LGBT.net
Some of the members here may not know that this website has the 4th largest company page (for LGBT) on LinkedIn with over 23,000 members.

This shows the potential for a broad category all inclusive website and community.

Donate If You Like What We Do, Our LGBT Community Benefits You, Take Action Now, Support Our LGBT Community Forum and Chat by Making a Generous Gift Donation.

Support Our LGBT Community Forum and Chat Where You Can.

Like posts and threads you like.

Share posts and threads with your peers.
Make positive comments to engage our LGBT Community.
Share our LGBT Community on your social media profile feeds.
Make small donations at Donorbox
Join our community forum at LGBT.net
Share your favorite community forum threads and posts on social media.
Comment and share your experience in a forum thread.
Become an active participant by introducing new Friends and Family to our community.
Make someone smile within the next 30 minutes!
Share and like this LGBT Forum and Chat!

Latest posts

LinkedIn