Coming Out - Old (late 30's) and Fat as a Gay Man?

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Forum and Chat
Welcome to Our LGBT Community Forum, Join Us and Our Open and Lively Conversations.
We are Improving the Lives of LGBT People by Breaking Communication Boundaries.

If You Like What We Do, Our LGBT Community Benefits You, Take Action Now, Support Our LGBT Community Forum and Chat by Making a Generous Gift Donation.

OdinsHat

Nov 17, 2021
Manchester
I'm in my late 30's and for most of my life since I finished uni I've remained tightly re-closeted after experiencing some terrifying homophobia from my first boss. It made living my life as a gay man quite difficult.

In my 20's I was a classic Twink with a good body. But I didn't really take advantage of my looks because I was living having to keep my sex life secret from my work life.

Because of these difficulties hiding my sexuality (I once had a straight boss join Grindr to see if he could find my profile cos he was convinced I was gay - it made life difficult). So I couldn't even join Grindr in my prime twink years and take advantage of my - erm - body's...'appeal'. Sorry I don't mean to sound arrogant!!! I was just a fitness nut who exercised every single day, so obviously my body was "healthy" looking - stating plain fact. I did have a sex life in uni but that was almost 20 years ago.

Then my 30's happened and I started to put on weight and lose my twinkness.

To put it bluntly these difficulties have stopped me from having ANY sexual activity for the past 15 YEARS!

Then Covid happened and I went from being a lithe 10.5-11st twink into a MASSIVE 18.5st tank in the space of a year.

Now I'm fat, in my late 30's and finally finding the confidence to come out - I think - but at the same time: Who the hell wants to have sex with a 38yr old fat puff like me? Who in the LGBT community - would even want to befriend me? We all know gay men tend to be fanatical about keeping fit and being disgusted by fat people - you see it in Grindr ads all the time. I think Attitude ran a study that showed 74% of gay men feel compelled to work out intensely to keep a certain level of attractiveness.

Not only am I finding it hard to lose this weight. I'm struggling to put myself out there for even basic friendship at this weight but at the same time I want to come out, be out and be accepted at this weight and as I lose the weight.

It's not even just about sex. I have literally ZERO (0) friends right now since I moved to Manchester. A new city I know no one in. I've thoguht about going to the variety of the local LGBT meetup events but I always think - "I'm a fat gay bastard - no one will want to know me".

Jesus - I sound so pathetic.

Blame the 15 year dry spell if you wish.

Apologies if this is TMI. But can someone offer some kind words, some comfort, anything?

Also if anyone knows a good forum to get advice and help regarding this I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: richarddeveloper

OdinsHat

Nov 17, 2021
Manchester
It's also worth mentioning that because I was fat in high school I have serious issues with body weight and self esteem. It's why I became a fitness fanatic in my 20's. I didn't want to go back to that fat kid who got bullied in school. My 20's were great health-wise. But I can't seem to get back to that health without going out and I can't even bring myself to go out because of how ashamed I am of my weight. I go to Asda and back. That's all I'll do.

I know this is a big load of info as an introduction so if a mod thinks its better in a different forum feel free to move it.

I'm in my late 30's and for most of my life since I finished uni I've remained tightly re-closeted after experiencing some terrifying homophobia from my first boss. It made living my life as a gay man quite difficult.

In my 20's I was a classic Twink with a good body. But I didn't really take advantage of my looks because I was living having to keep my sex life secret from my work life.

Because of these difficulties hiding my sexuality (I once had a straight boss join Grindr to see if he could find my profile cos he was convinced I was gay - it made life difficult). So I couldn't even join Grindr in my prime twink years and take advantage of my - erm - body's...'appeal'. Sorry I don't mean to sound arrogant!!! I was just a fitness nut who exercised every single day, so obviously my body was "healthy" looking - stating plain fact. I did have a sex life in uni but that was almost 20 years ago.

To put it bluntly these difficulties have stopped me from having ANY sexual activity for the past 15 YEARS!

Then Covid happened and I went from being a lithe 10.5-11st twink into a MASSIVE 18.5st tank in the space of a year.

Now I'm fat, in my late 30's and finally finding the confidence to come out - I think - but at the same time: Who the hell wants to have sex with a 38yr old fat puff like me? Who in the LGBT community - would even want to befriend me? We all know gay men tend to be fanatical about keeping fit and being disgusted by fat people - you see it in Grindr ads all the time. I think Attitude ran a study that showed 74% of gay men feel compelled to work out intensely to keep a certain level of attractiveness.

Not only am I finding it hard to lose this weight. I'm struggling to put myself out there for even basic friendship at this weight but at the same time I want to come out, be out and be accepted at this weight and as I lose the weight.

It's not even just about sex. I have literally ZERO (0) friends right now since I moved to Manchester. A new city I know no one in. I've thoguht about going to the variety of the local LGBT meetup events but I always think - "I'm a fat gay bastard - no one will want to know me".

Apologies if this is TMI. But can someone offer some kind words, some comfort, anything?

Also if anyone knows a good forum to get advice and help regarding this I'd appreciate it.
Oh dear, I would like to speak with you. How about a pic of this loner. How do I contact you? My e-mail; [email protected]

I hope this is not coming too let. Someone's waving. +1(470) 851-4837

Gigi

Jul 2, 2021
Brighton
Thanks for the help. Fuck the world. Who needs people. I'll get a fucking dog instead.
Hi Odin,

it’s not the person, it’s the personality. Think of Mama Cass from the band The Mamas and the Papas: she was really a heavyweight, and she had a wonderful voice. She was impressive. Might be you’re a heavyweight too, but I’m sure you’re more than that. It’s damned bloody Covid, difficult to go outside, clubbing, make new friends; but on the other hand, don’t bury yourself at home. I’m sure you have your qualities, so don’t stop making yourself down: live has a lot to offer if you walk forward. Thumbs up. We’re with you.

Btw: a dog might be a good decision. When I’m walking the dog I often get in contact with other dog owners, making small talk and getting to know them. It’s not Grindr, but it’s social contacts, and due to the pandemic situation those are very restricted these days.

Gigi

Donate

Make a generous gift donation today and support our community so we may grow! We look forward to your active and enthusiastic participation in our Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community. Community is the most important form of support you can give. Share where you can. Contributions of your time usually outweigh monetary contributions when it comes to our LGBT Community. That being said, We do need monetary donations to keep our doors open and cover monthly expenses. Every little bit of generosity you can give helps someone that needs their voice heard.

Support Our LGBT Community Forum and Chat Where You Can.

Like posts and threads you like.

Share posts and threads with your peers.

Make positive comments to engage our LGBT Community.

Share our LGBT Community on your social media profile feeds.

Make small donations at Donorbox

Join our community forum at LGBT.net

Share your favorite community forum threads and posts on social media.

Comment and share your experience in a forum thread.

Become an active participant by introducing new Friends and Family to our community.

Make someone smile within the next 30 minutes!

Share and like this LGBT Forum and Chat!

LinkedIn